One of the largest online grocery supermarkets in India is BigBasket. Since 2011, the company has been operating. The company’s headquarter is in Bangalore, Karnataka, India. Their offices are in New Delhi, Chennai, Pune, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Bangalore and Mysore. It is a private corporate company that delivers a variety of 18000 products and 1000 brands.
|Official Name||Supermarket Grocery Supplies Private Limited|
|Founders||Hari Menon, Vipul Parekh, Abhinay Chodhari and VS Ramesh|
|Revenue||₹ 7,098 crores|
|No. of employees||50001 – 10000 ≈|
|Category||Food and Drink|
|Available as||Website, Android and iOS|
Journey of Bigbasket
BigBasket has an enormous journey. It began in 1991 with a group of four as a small online business. Though the Internet and online shopping are new, online businesses did well. The name was Fabmart by then. Aditya Birla Group acquired the online business as the years passed. But, the same group of four gathered together and set up the company with a bang in 2011.
Hari Menon, Vipul Parekh, Abhinay Chodhari and VS Ramesh are the founders of the company. The company then moved to the hands of Tata Group with 64% of stake holdings. However, Hari Menon is the CEO of this company.
It has excellent customer service, and its business strategies are worth to be noted. They give unbiased focus to the customers. They have on-time delivery and same-day delivery and have good reviews and feedback. It ensures that they deliver the products soon and, if not, they provide compensation. This attribute gives a great understanding and respect from the customer.
A wide range of products, goods, and groceries is available. They are a customer-oriented grocery online shopping mart. They just don’t sell the products as other online shopping does. They take extra steps to make the living of the customer easier by selling, cut fruits, vegetables, ready-to-mix products, and bakery too. Isn’t that sweet?
Application For Mobile Phones
This online grocery shopping is available on both Android and iOS. The app can be downloaded, and you can buy your necessary things on the go. They have a special feature in the application called ‘Smart Basket’ which helps you in shopping by predicting the things you might need. This makes shopping easy, as we tend to forget one or two things while shopping.
The growth of the company is marvellous as it has already crossed a million deliveries. Their service is around 35 cities which have 35000 orders in a single day with an approximate value of ₹1500. In 2014 they provided services to only three cities by taking 5000 orders a day. But over the years they have expanded their services and have also spread their products and brand availability. They reached heights during May when they crossed one million orders. That is really a huge success and they deserve it. As well as providing fast delivery, It also provides everything a customer needs, including groceries. That’s the reason for their success and growth.
Bigbasket Website Page
The below image shows the landing page of the website page. On this page, you can shop for the products and your needs according to the categories. There are more than 10 categories to choose from and under each category, there is a number of products available. So, next time you shop, use this ‘Shop by Category’ section.
It has raised millions over the years for funds. The two main reasons for raising these funds are to expand their services to other cities and second is to improve their technology.
The company has set its wings in many cities. With the help of cold rooms, they have plans to store the foods, fruits, and vegetables and deliver them fresh. They also have invested in heavy vehicles that are cold chain enabled to keep the products fresh.
By improvising on the technology, they have succeeded in giving their best performance in their applications and customer support. In addition to improving customer satisfaction, this also increased profits. So, it is a win-win for the customer and also for the company’s profit.
|Salary and benefits||3.8|
Bigbasket Employee Benefits
Employees of this company have the following:
- Health insurance
- Job training
- Soft skill training
- Free food
- Work from home
- Team outings
- Education assistance
- Free transport
- Child care
- International Relocation
The revenue for BigBasket comes from four things. They are
- Commission from the sale of products – they receive a commission to buy a product for a price and sell the product for a higher rate.
- Delivery fees – they receive delivery fees, for delivering the groceries to your doorstep.
- Advertising money from brands – They earn a fair amount by advertising certain brand products in their app.
- Membership fees – members receive free delivery, cashback, discounts, and other benefits while shopping.
- They offer key features that make customers use their app with ease. They have a filter option, which helps you to filter the products of your choice and need.
- They have a sync shopping list across your devices, which helps you to shop on any device that you have while shopping.
- Scanning the barcode of a product lets you get your product in the pool of varied products.
- It is possible to customize delivery of the products as per your need of time and date at your convenience.
- You can track orders, that have been ordered online. This helps the users to get to know about the status of their shopped items. This also shows your order shipment status.
- You can track down your history of ordered items. So that in case of repeating the products, you can go and check the things quickly.
- BigBasket lets you share your order with your friends and family. This helps them to share the products of the same interests.
- They have multiple payment options during checkout. You can use credit cards, debit cards, GPay, Paytm, and much more.
BigBasket Future Plans
It aims to spread its service wider, faster, and more reliably with much more products and brands. It also plans to have ties with more suppliers and vendors to give the best quality products to the customer.
If you find this article interesting like it and share it with your friends who might find this article helpful. And don’t forget to subscribe and follow Ecom News for getting more details on ecommerce.
What is the minimum order value in BigBasket?
There is no such thing as a minimum order value in BigBasket.
What are the delivery charges in BigBasket?
No delivery charges in BigBasket.
Who is the owner of BigBasket?
Tata Digital owns the BigBasket after getting 64% of stake holdings.